Map of the PM's Routes Map of PM Lines In Use Photo Gallery Steam Locomotive Roster Diesel Locomotive Roster Steel Passenger Car Roster Freight Car Roster Marine Fleet Roster Preserved PM Locomotives Preserved PM Rolling Stock Structures Still Standing PMHS Publications Bibliography Model RR Resources Manistee & North Eastern RR Narrow Gauge Operations/Predecessors Time Line Other Things Named Pere Marquette Joining the PMHS Employees Related Links Home Page
Preserved/Restored PM Rolling Stock
This list encompasses known former PM rolling stock restored for display, operation or non-railroad use. With the exceptions noted below, all now wear PM paint and/or markings.
The B&O Railroad Museum, located at 901 West Pratt Street, contains several pieces of ex-PM equipment.
- Covered hopper #20054, at B&O Museum, cosmetically restored. This car was acquired by the West Michigan Railroad Historical Society in the early-1980s, restored and repainted, then donated to the museum.
Photo by Dennis Bean-Larson.
- 40’ wood boxcar #88958, at B&O Museum, cosmetically restored.
Photo by Dennis Bean-Larson.
- Streamlined coach #1700, at B&O Museum, on display. Originally PM coach #135, this car is used on short trips through the museum grounds behind Ex-PM SW-1 #11. This car is unique in that it has a one-of-a-kind metal overlay welded over the top of the fluting and painted blue both to make the fluting appear to be less tall (and thus match the C&O's 1950-order cars) and to try to keep water from behind the fluting panels.
Photo by Chuck Neal.
- Jordan spreader #GL-7, at B&O Museum, on display. This piece of maintenance of way equipment was rescued from nearly being scrapped after it ended its career in the 1980s in Ludington.
Photo by Chuck Neal.
Caboose #A621 - This caboose was removed from its previous site in Grand Blanc and moved to Crossroads Village and Huckleberry Railroad, where it was restored and is displayed.
Photo by Bob DeClerg, DeClerg Rail Images.
The Tri-Cities Historical Society display along the Grand River features ex-PM N-1 Berkshire #1223 and a trio of rolling stock, two pieces of which are of PM origin.
- 50' boxcar #72222, at Tri-Cities Historical Society display, restored. This car was acquired by the West Michigan Railroad Historical Society in 1982, repainted into its original PM paint scheme, and donated to the Pere Marquette 1223 Preservation Committee for use as both a display and a storage facility.
Photo by Art Million
- Caboose #A986, at the Tri-Cities Historical Society display, restored. This caboose, donated by the Chessie System, was regularly used on the nightly "Cannonball" that traversed the rails through Grand Haven.
Photo by Art Million
- Caboose #A566, This caboose is privately owned, but visible from the road, approximately 3 miles south of Holland, along 64th Street. It appears to be sitting on an old interurban grade, and has been repainted, oddly enough, in colors similar to those used on structures early in the PM's history.
- Caboose #A967, at the Padnos Transportation Center in Holland. In 2021, this caboose is being professionally restored, repainted and relettered. To raise funds for this project, the Trust has established a GoFundMe campaign to raise $10,000. Please consider contributing to this cause, at https://www.gofundme.com/f/choochoo-help-restore-the-red-caboose.
- "M&NE" caboose #18, at a bank on River Street. This is actually a similar ex-PM caboose of A500-series heritage, numbered just above the highest-numbered M&NE caboose. Restored, but remodelled inside.
Photo by Bob DeClerg, DeClerg Rail Images.
- M&NE caboose #9, at north end of swing bridge. This car was built as a drover's caboose, but is now used as the bridge-tender's shack, with several windows blanked-out, the cupola removed, and a coat of gray paint.
Caboose #A950, cosmetically restored by the Muskegon Railroad Historical Society. This used to see occasional use on RailAmerica's Michigan Shore Railroad. It is now owned by Muskegon County and was placed back at the former PM/PRR Muskegon depot in early September, 2001.
Shown adjacent to ex-PM/PRR Muskegon depot in 1985.
Caboose #A521 - This ex-PM caboose has sat for many years in this post-merger paint scheme along the public access ramp for Grand Traverse Bay at Northport. It sits just behind the distinctive stone ex-M&NE depot.
Although the centerpiece of the Steam Railroading Institute's collection is ex-PM N-1 Berkshire #1225, the Insitute owns three pieces of ex-PM rolling stock, as well.
- Caboose #A909, formerly located at the Tuscola and Saginaw Bay crossing at M-21. Owned by the Steam Railroading Institute, this caboose has been restored and was used as a ticket office during #1225's operation on the "Shiawassee Valley Railroad" excursions over the former NYC trackage north of Owosso in the early 1990s.
This caboose has been returned to live rails and is occasionally used on the Steam Railroading Institute's excursion trains
- 50' boxcar #72332, owned by the Steam Railroading Institute and occasionally used on photo freight trains. Cosmetically restored.
- Troop sleeper/wreck train support car (ex-C&O #361) used by SRI as an equipment car for #1225. Operable. Preiously numbered NCCX 1701, it now wears number MSTX 1701.
This car was originally purchased from the War Assets Adminstration for use by the PM, but was not delivered and put into service until after the C&O-PM merger.
During the mid-2010s, its Allied Full Cushion trucks were replaced with a set of roller bearing trucks that are easier to maintain and more suitable for interchange.
Caboose #A977, at the Saginaw Railway Museum.
Shown here in the mid-1990s.
Caboose #A557, partially restored, at the Shelby Township Parks and Recreation Department Headquarters at Van Dyke and 24 Mile Roads. Retired in 1965, this caboose has moved quite a bit since arriving in Macomb County, first being part of the Whistle Stop Museum and Sign Shop in Romeo, then moving to two different park locations in Shelby Township. A557 is typical of the A300, A500 and A600-series wooden cabooses used by the PM, which shared a common layout, but differed primarily in ladder configuration and underframe construction.
During its years on the PM, it traveled the entire PM system extensively as the Weighmaster's caboose. In this role it was usually in the company of PM scale testing car #Z-3.
This caboose is preserved with a small 2-4-2 of unknown origin adjacent to a restored schoolhouse. This photo shows the pitfalls of amateur restoration efforts as evidenced by the "upside-down" railings adjacent to the steps at each end of the caboose. Presumably, the roofwalks and end ladders were removed out of concern for liability issues.
89700-series Single-Sheathed Boxcar, formerly used as a toy store at Taylor Heritage park on Pardee Road. This car is preserved along with a Grand Trunk Western wooden caboose, among the historic buildings behind the Sheridan Center.
While the outline of the PM road name lettering is visible in the wood sheathing on the sides of the car, the number is indistinguishable. This car was used in maintenance-of-way service following its retirement from active freight service.
PM Business Car #1, most recently CSXT business car #15, stored at Illinois Transit Assembly. Prior to this, it was at White Sulphur Springs, West Viriginia, along with several other ex-C&O business cars. These cars were used as meeting rooms by CSX.
Number 15 was built in 1926 by Pullman for W.F. Kenney as the St. Nicholas. The PM purchased the car in 1939 and assigned it Number 1. It was renumbered 15 at the time of the C&O merger, then rebuilt (including the addition of fluted siding) in 1951. It was operated by the C&O, Chessie System and CSX until 1988, at which time it was moved to White Sulphur Springs.
In mid-2001, it was sold to a private party who moved it to Illinois and intended to refurbish it for operation.
Photo, at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, by Art Million.
Imperial Salon Coach #1117, stored behind the office, depot and gift shop of the Whitewater Valley Railroad.
Although its paint is faded, and it shows signs of rough use in maintenance-of-way service on the B&O, the PM lettering is still visible on this car.
Caboose #A800, on display at the Franklin County Fairgrounds on the north edge of Hilliard, Ohio. This caboose, donated by the C&O in 1972, has had its interior restored.
Caboose #A811, partially restored, less than one block west of the railroad crossing on State Route 21 at the south edge of Navarre, Ohio. The owner of this caboose has completely replaced the cupola. This car was recently sold.
London & Port Stanley Caboose #C-1 shown here at Port Stanley, is now at the Elgin County Railway Museum in St. Thomas, undergoing restoration. This caboose was PM #A451.
PM Tavern-Lounge Car #113 was one of two originally ordered by the PM to add capacity to the popular Pere Marquette streamliners. Before these cars were delivered, their order was taken over by the D&RGW, which named the #113 "Eagle Cañon". Following its purchase in the 1980s by Eagle Cañon Car Company, it was restored, renumbered and repainted to the paint scheme the PM and Pullman-Standard intended. Eagle Cañon Car Company also owns sister car "Chessie Club", which actually did see service on the C&O's ex-PM lines in Michigan.
Click either here or on the photograph to see a larger version of the photo and more information about this car.
Shown at St. Albans, WV on an excursion during the 1991 NRHS National Convention in Huntington, WV.
A surprisingly large number of former PM cabooses still exists. Those listed below, while still extant, are not known to be restored to their PM livery.
This list was compiled using information from Steel Cabooses of the Chesapeake & Ohio 1937-1987 by Dwight Jones, from an article on preserved wooden C&O and PM cabooses, in the September, 1992 issue of the Chesapeake & Ohio Historical Magazine, and from Roger Kirkpatrick's list of preserved C&O cabooses.
Cabooses numbered lower than #A901 are wood-sided cabooses. Cabooses numbered in the A800-series are nearly identical to the Erie's A4900-series wooden cabooses.
|A353||Milton, ON||Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association (as London & Port Stanley #C2).|
|A608||Brampton, ON||Unconfirmed whether this car still exists.|
|A609||Galesburg, MI||Unconfirmed whether this car still exists.|
|A610||Nicholasville, KY||At entrance to Riney B. Park|
|A616||Hamlin Lake, MI||Privately owned. Along state highway M-116, in rough shape.|
|A801||Widen, WV||Privately owned.|
|A802||Selbyville, DE||Privately owned.|
|A803||Linworth, OH||Privately owned.|
|A805||Orrville, OH||Privately owned, possibly the un-numbered car listed for Riceland.|
|A810||Huntington, WV||Beverly Hills Middle School, near Rt 60, Saltwell Rd|
|A814||Loveland, OH||Loveland Church of the Nazarene. - Unconfirmed whether this car still exists.|
|A821||Lowmansville, KY||Along old US 23, north of Paintsville.|
|A822||Mt. Carbon?, WV||Last reported at Alloy Industrial League, but no longer there as of April, 2005.|
|A823||Hinton, WV||Sr. Little League Baseball Club.|
|A8??||Riceland, OH||627 N. Kansas Road, Xpressly Imprintable Sportwear|
|A908||Deer Park, MD||Shawnee Trading Post, Sand Flat Rd., north of Deer Park|
|A911||Hinton, WV||City Pool|
|A913||Barboursville, WV||East of town, US Rt 60 at Cyrus Creek Road, Donahue Bros., from Milton, West Virginia|
|A916||Philippi, WV||Alderson-Broaddus College, athletic field|
|A922||Xenia, OH||On display as "B&O 90922" in park.|
|A924||Lucinda, PA||Along former Knox and Kane Railroad - still?|
|A951||Sanford, MI||Sanford Historical Society Museum, US-10|
|A953||Claysville, PA||At a private residence, State Rt 3017, 1.6 miles south of US 40|
|A961||Nappanee, IN||Privately owned|
|A971||North Vernon, IN||As "B&O C1984", City Hall Park|
|A981||Sabillasville, MD||As 1981, Camp West Mar American Legion kids camp|
|A984||Hinton, WV||City Park|
|A989||Granville, OH||Formerly on the Buckeye Central, burned, likely scrapped|
Use of this Web site and the materials contained within it is subject to specific terms and conditions.
Do you have questions or comments regarding this Web site? E-mail to
The contents of this Web site are Copyright © 2023, John F. ("Fritz") Milhaupt on behalf of the Pere Marquette Historical Society, Inc., All Rights Reserved.